トップ

Peace and Disarmament

Back to listJun 7, 2013

SGI's Anti-nuclear Weapons Exhibition Shown in La Paz, Mexico

Viewing the exhibitionViewing the exhibition

From May 24-June 7, SGI's anti-nuclear weapons exhibition "From a Culture of Violence to a Culture of Peace: Transforming the Human Spirit" (THS) was on display at the Autonomous University of Baja California Sur (UABCS) in La Paz, Mexico.

The exhibition's opening on May 24 was attended by UABCS Rector Gustavo Rodolfo Cruz Chávez; Baja California Sur State Governor Marcos Alberto Covarrubias Villaseñor; SGI-Mexico General Director Roberto Ríos Ramirez; and Ambassador Gioconda Ubeda Rivera, secretary-general of the Agency for the Prohibition of Nuclear Weapons in Latin America and the Caribbean (OPANAL). OPANAL is the implementing body of the Treaty of Tlatelolco which established the 33 states and regions of Latin America and the Caribbean as a nuclear-weapon-free-zone.

At the opening ceremony Rector Cruz spoke on behalf of the university and Mr. Ríos represented SGI-Mexico. In her remarks at the ceremony, Ambassador Ubeda expressed her hope the exhibition would help raise awareness of nuclear weapons and the serious threat they still pose in today's world. She also noted that both OPANAL and SGI have worked continuously toward nuclear abolition and cited the origins of these respective efforts as the opening for signature of the Treaty of Tlatelolco in 1967 and second Soka Gakkai president Josei Toda's 1957 Declaration Calling for the Abolition of Nuclear Weapons.

Ambassador Ubeda also delivered a special lecture on the contributions of Latin America and the Caribbean to global nonproliferation and disarmament.  

THS was created by SGI in 2007 to commemorate the 50th anniversary of Mr. Toda's declaration and, to date, it has been shown in more than 230 cities in 31 countries and territories. The exhibition is available in English, Spanish, Chinese, Icelandic, Japanese and Thai.

[Adapted from an article in the June 5, 2013, issue of Seikyo Shimbun, Soka Gakkai, Japan; photo courtesy of Seikyo Shimbun]