Peace and Disarmament
SGI President Ikeda Issues Nuclear Abolition Proposal
On September 8, 2009, SGI President Daisaku Ikeda issued a proposal outlining concrete steps toward nuclear abolition, in commemoration of the 52nd anniversary of second Soka Gakkai President Josei Toda's antinuclear declaration.
Mr. Ikeda's proposal, titled "Building Global Solidarity Toward Nuclear Abolition," outlines five key steps:
1. The five declared nuclear-weapon states to announce their commitment to a shared vision of a world without nuclear weapons at next year's NPT (Nuclear Non-Proliferation Treaty) Review Conference.
2. The United Nations to establish a panel of experts on nuclear abolition, strengthening collaborative relations with civil society in the disarmament process.
3. The states parties to the NPT to strengthen nonproliferation mechanisms and remove obstacles to the elimination of nuclear weapons by the year 2015.
4. All states to actively cooperate to reduce the role of nuclear weapons in national security and to advance on a global scale toward the establishment of security arrangements that are not dependent on nuclear weapons by the year 2015.
5. The world's people to clearly manifest their will for the outlawing of nuclear weapons and to establish, by the year 2015, the international norm that will serve as the foundation for a Nuclear Weapons Convention.
The proposal was highlighted on September 10 at a showing of the "Transforming the Human Spirit" exhibition during the 62nd annual UN Department of Public Information/NGO conference in Mexico City.
Mr. Ikeda states that in the struggle for nuclear abolition, "the real enemy that we must confront is the way of thinking that justifies nuclear weapons; the readiness to annihilate others when they are seen as a threat or as a hindrance to the realization of our objectives."
The SGI's "Transforming the Human Spirit" exhibition is part of its global campaign to promote nuclear abolition.
To read the proposal, go to Building Global Solidarity Toward Nuclear Abolition
On September 29, 2009, SGI President Ikeda gave an interview on his proposal and the prospects for nuclear abolition to the Inter Press Service Global News Agency. See http://http://www.ipsnews.net/news.asp?idnews=48638
[Adapted from an article in the October, 2009 issue of the SGI Quarterly, Soka Gakkai International]