Top

Education

Back to listMay 10, 2006

Soka Gakkai Youth Peace Conference Hosts Lecture by Bestselling Author Kayoko Ikeda

Writer Ikeda provides audience food for thought on how they can contribute to humanity

On the evening of May 9, 2006, some 150 youth attended a lecture by writer and translator of German literature Kayoko Ikeda, at the Josei Toda International Center in Shinjuku Ward, Tokyo. Soka Gakkai Youth Peace Conference hosted the event as a part of its youth lecture series. Ms. Ikeda is also a researcher in orally transmitted culture and the author of a best selling novel Sekai ga moshi 100-nin no mura dattara (If the World Were a Village of 100 People).

In her lecture, she spoke about how she came to write Sekai ga moshi 100-nin no mura dattara, which is based on one email message of unknown origin that has been circulating on the Internet around the world. The book's main theme is "If the whole world were shrunk to a small village consisting of 100 people, what would it look like?" At the beginning, it breaks down the world into simple statistical ratios like, "52 would be women, and 48 would be men." It divides the world further into race, religion, language, wealth, standard of living, victims of wars and so on. Ms. Ikeda said that through this simple comparison, it is important to comprehend and recognize that various global issues are all our concern. Referring to a statistic that 10 percent of the people can influence the other 90 percent, she stressed that we are not powerless to change the world but rather we have the potential to positively influence others. She called on everyone to share their desires for peace through dialogue and rally together to build a society in which each individual is respected.